Tuesday, December 19, 2023

More Knit/Crochet Finishes

 I'm back today with more finishes from my recent knitting and crochet obsession. I have two knit hats and one crocheted cowl which uses the planned color pooling technique.

Pattern: Alexander Cable Beanie
Designer: Jessica Ays of Double the Stitches
Yarn: Craft Smart Value
Color: Light Coral
Needles: 5mm circulars
Started: 13 Dec 2023
Completed: 14 Dec 2023
Techniques: German twisted cast on, ktbl ribbing, cables, magic loop

The first hat pattern is from a new to me knitwear designer I discovered thanks to the 24 Days of Quickies series hosted by designer Marly Bird. This hat pattern wasn't one of the quickies, but I did find it while checking out Jessica's pattern store. I love all the texture the alternating cables give this hat! 

I also learned a new cast-on technique while making this hat. I had never done a German twisted cast-on prior to this. It's a very nice stretchy cast-on that's very similar to the long-tail cast-on I normally use when making hats. 

Pattern: Chunky Broken Rib Hat
Designer: Jessica Ays of Double The Stitches
Yarn: Red Heart Hygge
Color: Cloud
Needles: 5mm circulars
Started: 15 Dec 2023
Finished: 15 Dec 2023
Techniques: German twisted cast on, magic loop

The second hat I made is also from Jessica. It also uses the German twisted cast-on and is an easy ribbed pattern for the entire hat. I made this one in a single evening while watching TV. 

Pattern: Planned Pooling Cowl
Designer: Marly Bird 
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver Pooling
Color: Haute
Hook: 5.5mm (US I)

Started: 6 Dec 2023
Finished: 18 Dec 2023
Technique: Planned color pooling

The final item I'm sharing today is this cowl designed by Marly Bird. It uses the Red Heart Super Saver Pooling yarn which makes planned color pooling much easier. This was my first time trying this technique, so it was fun to try something new with crochet. That being said, I'm not sure I will do any planned pooling again. I found the constant adjustments I had to make to my tension to get the pattern right to be very time consuming. I also had to do a LOT of ripping out to ensure things were lining up proper to achieve the argyle pattern. I know the argyle is kind of difficult to see when I'm wearing the cowl, so here is a photo of the cowl as I was in the process of making it which shows the pattern much better.

I hope you've enjoying my shares today. If you did, please leave me a comment below. I love comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment